Last revised on April 12, 2012
Varsity Monitor collects personally identifiable information from you solely to operate as described in the “How We Use Your User Information” section below.We will not sell your personally identifiable information to advertisers or spammers. We will only share the information we collect from you as described in the section below entitled “How We Share Your User Information.”
Information We Collect About You
Varsity Monitor reviews your social media postings and friend connections on Facebook to identify possible infractions against the social media, eligibility, or behavioral standard policies set by your team, school, or institution. In order to facilitate this process, the VM Application collects that information and content, which you have made visible to “Everyone” on Facebook, as well as the information Facebook designates as your publicly available information. This information includes:
- profile picture
- current city
- friend list
In addition, when firstusing the VM Application, you will be asked to grant us access to limited, additional Facebook Information that was (1) posted by you; (2) posted or tagged to your account by other Facebook users; or (3) associated with your account by Facebook. This additional information includes:
- your contact information, including your email address, phone number and mailing address
- items you have “liked”
- your profile information
- posts in your newsfeed
- photos and videos you have uploaded to Facebook
- your calendar of events
- your custom friend lists
- your online presence
- your “check-ins” and friends’ “check-ins”
- your family members and relationship details and status
- information about your friends including:
- names & social media ids
- profile info if it is public
- pictures / videos if user / student is tagged
- anything posted to user / athletes wall- such as comments, photos, posts, videos etc.
The VM Application does not collect, and Your Information does not include, any information or content regarding you that is not listed above.
How We Use Your Information
The Company will collect and use Your Information only for purposes of monitoring and identifying possible social media policy, behavioral, or eligibility violations as defined by your team, school or institution. This is accomplished generally by electronic and manual Key-word, key-issue searches of Your Information, as well as by visual inspection of photographs and videos.
How We Share Your Information
The Company may share Your Information with the following parties in the following cases:
- With Authorized Representatives of Your Team, School or Institution: Your Information, collected via the VM Application, will be shared only with authorized representatives of your team, school, or institution, which may include administrative members of the organization as well as coaches. In addition, the Company will only disclose Your Information upon the finding of an actual or suspected violation as defined by your team, school or institution, and will include only such information as is reasonably related to such actual or suspected violation. All disclosures will be transmitted via a secure communication platform. For more information regarding the identities of the authorized representatives at your team, school, or institution, please contact us at email@example.com.
- As Required by Law: The Company may share Your Information in response to a legal request (like a search warrant, court order or subpoena), if we have a good faith belief that the law requires us to do so.
- To Prevent Harm or Loss: The Company may share Your Information when there is a good faith belief that it is necessary to: detect, prevent and address fraud and other illegal activity; and to prevent death or imminent bodily harm.
- With Your Consent: The Company may share Your Information with other third parties with your consent.
- The Company will not provide Your Information to third parties for any other purposes, including for marketing their products or services to you; however, we do not control and are not responsible for Facebook’s own use of your content and information that it independently collects.
Your Access To Your Information
In the event that Your Information is disclosed to your Institution, the Company will provide you with a copy of all such disclosed information at the time of such disclosure. In addition, upon your request, we will provide you with access to Your Information that we have retained, and enable you to review, correct, update, block or delete the information where it is inaccurate. We provide initial responses to access requests within a reasonable period of time, typically within thirty days. Subject to applicable law, we may be required to limit or deny access to Your Information where providing such access is unreasonably burdensome or expensive under the circumstances.
How We Protect Your Information
The Company maintains administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect Your Information against accidental, unlawful or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use. While we cannot guarantee that no accidental, unlawful or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use of Your Information will occur, we undertake commercially reasonable measures to prevent such occurrences.
Your Privacy Rights and Choices
You may stop the Company from collecting and using Your Information at any time by (i) uninstalling the VM Application and setting your Facebook privacy settings to prevent the VM Application from accessing Your Information through your friends or (ii) by deleting your Facebook account. To have all Your Information removed from Varsity Monitor, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that any request for removal will be reported to the appropriate team, school, or institutions authorized representative, but that notice will not delay the removal of the content.
How to Contact Us